Timeline of the R.M.S Titanic's Maiden Voyage

April 10 - 18, 1912

Wednesday, April 10, 1912

12 noon: Titanic leaves Southampton, England enroute to Cherbourg, France.

7:00 p.m.: Arrives at Cherbourg, France.

9:00 p.m.: Leaves Cherbourg, France for Queenstown, Ireland.

Thursday, April 11, 1912

12:30 p.m.: Arrives at Queenstown, Ireland.

2:00 p.m.: Leaves Queenstown, Ireland for New York with 2,227 passengers and crew.

Sunday, April 14, 1912

9:00 a.m.: Titanic receives ice warning from the Caronia, "icebergs, growlers and field ice at 42 N, 49 to 51 W."

11:40 a.m. Titanic receives ice warning from the Noordam, "much ice"" in the same area as Caronia.

1:42 p.m.: Titanic receives ice warning from the Baltic, icebergs and large quantity of field ice in 41.51 N, 49.9 W."

1:45 p.m.: Titanic receives ice warning from the Amerika, "passed two large icebergs at 41.27 N, 50.8 W."

7:00 p.m.: Temperature 43 degrees.

7:30 p.m.: Titanic receives ice warning from Californian, "Three large icebergs five miles to south ward of us, 42.3 N, 49.9 W." Temperature 39 degrees.

9:00 p.m.: Temperature 33 degrees.

9:30 p.m.: Second Officer Lightoller warns carpenter and engine room to watch fresh water suppy for freezing. Warns crow's nest to watch for ice.

9:40 p.m.: Titanic receives ice warning from Mesaba, "saw much heavy pack ice and great number of large icebergs, also field ice at 42 to 41.25 N, 40 to 50.30 W. At this time the Titanic was already in this area of ice.

10:00 p.m.: Temperature 32 degrees.

10:30 p.m.: Temperature of sea 31 degrees.

11:00 p.m.: Californian attempts to warn Titanic of more ice but is cut off and told to "Shut up."

11:39 p.m.: Fredrick Fleet sees the iceberg, rings the crow's nets bell three times, calls the bridge and reports, "Iceberg right ahead!"

11:40 p.m.: Collides with iceberg, opening up the first 5 compartments to the sea, 300 feet in length.

11:50 p.m.: Water pours in so fast that excaping air forces up hatch covers and hisses out of forepeak tanks. Water in the forepeak, No.1 and No. 2 hold, mailroom and boiler rooms No. 6 and No. 5. 14 feet of water above the keel level. Thomas Andrews tells Captain Smith the ship is going to sink.

Monday, April 15, 1912

12:05 a.m.: Orders given to uncover the boats, muster the crew and passengers.

12:15 a.m.: First wireless call for help is sent out.

12:30 a.m.: In the gymnasium, John Jacob Astor slices open a lifebelt to show his wife what's inside.

12:45 a.m.: First distress rocket is fired from starboard wing of bridge. First lifeboard, No. 7 is lowered.

12:55 a.m.: Fifth Officer Lowe tells J. Bruce Ismay to "get out of the way of lowering the boats."

1:10 a.m.: Mrs. Isidor Staus refuses a place in lifeboat No. 8 to stay with her husband.

1:35 a.m.: First Officer Murdock prevents a rush on lifeboard No. 15.

1:40 a.m.: Last distress rocket fired. J. Bruce Ismay climbs into Collapsible C and saves himself.

2:05 a.m.: Last lifeboard, Collapsible D is lowered.

2:10 a.m.: Last wireless signals sent due to failing power.

2:18 a.m.: Lights go out and come back on momentarily then go out for good.

2:20 a.m.: Titanic sinks, breaking in two at the surface. The stern rights itself then fills with water and follows the bow below the waves.

3:30 a.m.: Carpathia's rockets are sighted by lifeboarts.

4:10 a.m.: First lifeboat, No.2 is picked up by the Carpathia.

8:30 a.m.: Last lifeboat, No. 12 is picked up by the Carpathia.

8:50 a.m.: Carpathia heads for New York with 705 survivors.

Thursday, April 18, 1912

9:00 p.m.: Carpathia reaches New York and the world begins to learn the details of the tragedy.

Click on the banner to return to the R.M.S. Titanic Page